Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wick Hut Candles

You'll never guess where I found this new candle brand to try - from a facebook ad! But I'm glad I've tried them as I wanted to try some different candles. Although, now I just have another company to throw my money at haha.

I read a little about the company before purchasing and the reviews that I found were raving about this brand. Also, it seems that from looking at their website (www.thewickhut.com), they claim to have the "most powerful scent throw" which was enough for me to place an order. Their most popular candles come in tins, 3 sizes (4 oz, 8 oz, and 16 oz double wick), and 3 options for scent throw (full strength, half scent, and quarter scent). I thought it would be a good idea to purchase several of the small size for my first try but I have to say, even purchased at full strength, they aren't as strong as the 16 oz double wick so there's a tip right there. My second purchase was 3 of the largest tins at full strength scent throw, of course.

The scents I have tried so far: China Rain, Butt Naked (reviewed on an earlier post), Oven Baked Bread, Blueberry Waffles, Mandarin Tiki, and Chocolate Chip Cookies.

My favorite so far is China Rain.



This is one of their best sellers. "A rejuvenating scent with a clean and refreshing fragrance of floral surroundings, with the added scent of musky rose and fresh midnight rain. A very smooth and relaxing scent to brighten your day." I felt I needed a nice relaxing fragrance that wasn't lavender so I bought this and it does relax you. I can't even describe this scent. It has a lot of different notes and doesn't come off as a floral candle. It's interesting and I've never smelled anything like it.

My favorite foodie scent so far - Oven Baked Bread



I would just as soon call this oven baked cookies. It doesn't exactly smell like that fresh baked bread that most of us love with that distinctive yeast smell and it's a little sweeter but it still smells divine. "Walk into the wonderful scent of freshly baked bread, straight out of the hot oven."

Mandarin Tiki



This is their newest scent and is currently featured on their website. It sounded so unique I had to try it. "A complex aroma of mandarin rind, red currants, strawberries, and bluberries; with middle notes of watercress and palm leaves. A fresh and energizing aroma that stirs the senses and brightens the spirit." I don't like just orange scents but this really is so much more. Their scents really do smell like all the notes they say.

Blueberry Waffles



I haven't burned this one yet because it's a small one and they don't burn as quickly or evenly and they're not as strong but it's nice right from the tin. "Hot, homemade waffles, straight from the griddle, topped with freshly picked blueberries and whip cream. An absolute delight of a scent to wake up to in the morning." I don't know that it's as great as that description, but still nice.

Chocolate Chip Cookies.



This didn't smell as good as I was hoping, but it's still nice and I think it will smell better once I burn it. You can definitely smell the chocolate. You can order this scent but I don't see that they provide a scent description of it.

Here's a picture to show the difference between the smallest and largest sizes.



Here's a picture to show the two-wick burning. My one main complaint is that the large ones are only 2 wicks instead of 3 and if you can tell, the wax burns the whole way across but there is some space on either side where the wax does not melt all the way so it might not burn all the way across. [UPDATE: As long as you burn the candle long enough and it's level, the wax will melt evenly all the way across. Yay!]



So overall I do really like these candles, but do they have the strongest scent throw? In my opinion, the scent throw in their large 2 wick is AS STRONG as a Slatkin 3 wick. And I would say they are a little stronger than a large Yankee. But I definitely recommend getting the largest size. It took awhile to burn the little 3-ouncer all the way across. They have a lot of different scents to choose from (bakery, seasonal, holiday, year-round), their prices are good (although the shipping kinda sucks and they ship from AZ which is all the way across the country from me), and there are no stores throughout the country so you have to guess on the scents but I definitely recommend you give this brand a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment